Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a qualified and motivated HR/Finance Assistant who will fulfil daily HR and financial functions and services in DRC BiH.
About the organisation
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been working in Bosnia and Herzegovina since 1992 and closed its office in the country at the end of January 2010. In July 2018, DRC re-opened its mission responding to increasing and priority needs of Person of Concern (PoCs) in close cooperation with the BiH Authorities. More specifically, DRC BiH focuses on improving the access to primary and secondary health care, including psychosocial and mental health services to PoCs, as well as on enhancing the overall protective environment for PoCs, and timely outreach response to the rights violations at the borders. DRC has its main office in Sarajevo and the activities implemented in Una-Sana Canton, Sarajevo Canton and Tuzla Canton.
Duty Station of Finance Officer: Sarajevo
Period of engagemet: December 2023- 31 st of March 2024
Basic functions: HR / Finance Assistant in coordination and cooperation with the program and support team members, and supervised by the Support Services Team Leader, will facilitate the efficient and effective HR and financial operation of DRC office. He/She will ensure compliance with DRC rules and regulations as described in the Operations Handbook (OH) alongside donor policies, procedures, guidelines and rules.
Reference: HR/Finance Assistant refers to the DRC Support Services Team Leader, working in close coordination with HR coordinator, Finance Officer and other members of the DRC team
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure that leave, recruitment and training trackers are updated on a regular basis.
- Monitor and update staff leave balance
- Monitor staff attendance and ensure that all staff timesheets are submitted and filed on time.
- Assist in communicating with interview candidates and scheduling for tests and interviews.
- Responsible for ensuring the following are accurate, complete and up to date: -personnel files, administration of health insurance scheme, social security,
- Ensure that all staff personnel records are properly maintained and regularly updated
- Ensure new staff receive an appropriate orientation and induction.
- Follow up on job offers (process the paperwork for new hires with our accountant company)
- Update and maintain staff lists
- Ensure that DRC internal documents are properly filed.
- Follow up and support with residency and work permits
- Ensure compliance in Human Resources Administration Management to DRC Operations Handbook
- Scanning and filing of relevant HR documents including supporting documents
- Support in the implementation of financial policies and procedures.
- Support on payments and that transactions are properly recorded and entered into the appropriate accounting system.
- Scanning, copying and filing relevant financial documents including supporting documents as needed
- Assist Finance Officer in the closure of accounts at the end of month.
- Maintain the contract follow up on a monthly basis, and make sure all contracts are renewed, closed, or/and paid on time
- To maintain an effective filing system and ensure that supporting documents are complete and organized according to DRC and donor procedures and available for inspection as required;
- Support financial report preparations.
- Manage contract arrangements with lessors and ensuring that contractual obligations are adhered to.
- Follow up and preparation of contracts for public health institutions
- Manage flights and accommodation bookings for DRC staff national and international travel and meetings
- Ensure that DRC staff have Identification cards (ID) with the period of validity in accordance with the employment contract.
- Ensure that DRC staff have SIM Cards on the request of Team Leaders.
- Receive and send official correspondence and maintain record for it.
- Perform ad hoc office tasks.
- To undertake other HR, finance and admin-related tasks and any other duties related to the nature of the position as instructed by the Support Services Team Leader, HR Coordinator or SMT.
Qualifications & experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, HR Management, Law, Business Administration or related field
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel)
- Advanced English Proficiency
- Knowledge of B/H/S languages required
- Working license /permit for Bosnia and Herzegovina
Minimum 1 year of relevant work experience in HR or finance role, preferably with NGOs.
- Ability to analyze problems and strategize for better solutions
- Ability to negotiate, establish, and administer contracts
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
- Accurate and precise attention to detail
- Ability to work well with management and staff at all levels
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Goal-oriented, organized team player
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.